1 What is machine learning?
This chapter covers:
- What is machine learning?
- Is machine learning hard? (Spoiler: No)
- Why you should read this book?
- What will we learn in this book?
- How do humans think, how do machines think, and what does this have to do with machine learning?
It is common sense, except done by a computer
Welcome to this book! I’m super happy to be joining you in this journey through understanding machine learning. At a high level, machine learning is a process in which the computer solves problems and makes decisions in a similar way that humans do.
In this book, I want to bring one message to you, and it is: Machine learning is easy! You do not need to have a heavy math knowledge or a heavy programming background to understand it. What you need is common sense, a good visual intuition, and a desire to learn and to apply these methods to anything that you are passionate about and where you want to make an improvement in the world. I’ve had an absolute blast writing this book, as I love understanding these topics more and more, and I hope you have a blast reading it and diving deep into machine learning!