Chapter 13. Refactoring to microservices
This chapter covers
- When to migrate a monolithic application to a microservice architecture
- Why using an incremental approach is essential when refactoring a monolithic application to microservices
- Implementing new features as services
- Extracting services from the monolith
- Integrating a service and the monolith
I hope that this book has given you a good understanding of the microservice architecture, its benefits and drawbacks, and when to use it. There is, however, a fairly good chance you’re working on a large, complex monolithic application. Your daily experience of developing and deploying your application is slow and painful. Microservices, which appear like a good fit for your application, seem like distant nirvana. Like Mary and the rest of the FTGO development team, you’re wondering how on earth you can adopt the microservice architecture?