This chapter covers:
- Highlighting some great features of the language and its community
- Exposing you to Rust’s syntax
- Introducing the goals of the project
- Discussing where Rust might be useful and when to avoid it
- Building your first Rust program
- Explaining how Rust compares to object-orientated and wider languages
Welcome to Rust, the programming language that rewards your curiosity. Once you scratch the surface, you will find a programming language with unparalleled speed and safety that is still comfortable to use. Learning the language can be challenging, but the rewards can be immense.
Rust has established a strong following. In Stack Overflow’s annual developer survey, Rust has won “most loved programming language” in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. The distinction is awarded to the language that has the highest proportion of current developers in the language who want to continue using it.
The language has proven its ability to build powerful, reliable software.
Large technology leaders have adopted Rust: